Thursday, April 17, 2014

My new reality: part two

I've been soooo out of the loop with blogging that I've started to miss it. to miss you guys. to miss sharing what I've been up to and what's been on my heart.

First, I just want to sincerely thank you all who sent love, prayers and condolences to me and my family in this time since my grandpa Henry has passed. It's so much appreciated. We had his funeral, Thursday, April 3rd and then, Friday, April 4th, we took his him to the Superstition Mountains in Apache Junction. That day was my favorite part of "laying him to rest". I had so many relatives come from Texas, California and New Mexico to honor his life. I have a huge family and I am not joking when I say that I didn't even get to say Hello or take a photo with everyone over the two days!

Grandpa loved the mariachis

Grandpa & Nana's Kids

One good thing about funerals is that it brings people together. I absolutely loved seeing family and family friends come together for my grandpa.

My family decided to wear bright, springy colors the day of the funeral. I thought that was perfect, because my grandpa was so cheery and he loved plants and flowers. He was a landscaper afterall. The teal skirt hanging in my closet would be perfect, but I needed a nice, coordinating top to go with it, so my friend and caregiver Lynda took me to the mall Wednesday evening (the day before the funeral) to find a shirt and I did! The funeral took place at a Catholic Church in the east valley, about an hour away from my home. This was the church that he and his girlfriend went to every Sunday for Mass. We held a rosary prayer thirty minutes before the service actually began. During the service, we sang a few hymns, including, "how great thou art" and that just struck at my heartstrings...lots of tears flowed from the congregation.



The view of the Superstition Mountains from the church

After the service, the priest invited anyone to go up and offer words about my grandpa. I wanted to go but there were steps and the microphone on the podium was too high, plus the podium itself would block people from seeing me, so I was very thankful that my cousin Roy and cousin Devin went up. Shortly after, we had a luncheon there at the church and my cousin Bridget put together a amazing video full of photos throughout the years of my grandpa's life set to about five different songs. Oh, watching that video made me tear up so much. But I love it.

Later, after relaxing for a couple hours, everyone gathered at my aunt June's house for food and company. I wanted to stay longer, but I started not feeling well so I left around 9:30 and got home around 10:30 that night and I left my house at 8:45 in the morning!
I love my grandpa so much. I am so grateful to my good friends Kim & Elisa who were able to attend the funeral festivities with me as well to my mom who held my hand as we went up for communion. I am thankful that my family has many wonderful, generous friends who have helped us with the funeral. My grandpa is so loved and the love that was created by all those who attended was as if you could grasp it within your hands.

Grandpa's brother, Les

I am so thankful that I got to learn more about him and my other family members, like my nana margaret who passed away in 1997. The stories. Oh, the many stories that still need to be recorded. I have alot of catching up to do, but I am not complaining. I am privileged to hear, to know and learn and be with my family.

5 comments:

Blush and Barbells said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It seems like your family really celebrated your grandfather instead of mourning him - that means he must have been a happy man to inspire that in all of you.
Blessing to you all.

Anonymous said...

I've been praying for you girl! What a sweet way that you remembered your grandpa :)

ANDYSTYLE said...

lovely pics!

holli said...

We sung How Great Thou Art last weekend at church and i looked up at Todd and said i cry EVERY time i hear or sing this song. And i did.
A celebration of your grandpa's life is so special. It is a great time to see family members.
Love you honey and hope you have a fun and blessed Easter.

Amanda said...

I'm glad you guys got to remember his life with such a celebration. And I love the fact you guys wore bright colors. Deaths are hard, so I hope things start to look up soon!