Thursday, April 4, 2013

bookies.

like just how I go through phases of things, like:

1. being on a corn tortilla chip eating kick 
(true story. I have 1.25 opened bags right now.)
2. wearing neutral eyes with a pop of fuchsia on the lips

...i go through reading a book or two or three in a short amount of time.

On Monday (3 days ago) my mama bought me a new book from Target( also it's a target book club pick!), called Garden of Stones by Sophie Littlefield.


I had a $2 off coupon I wanted to take advantage of, assuming I'd even be interested in the book, which I was once I read the back of the book. $11.89-ish plus the $2 off, thank you.

Garden of Stones is a about an embarrassing fact of American History:
the encampment of American Japanese citizens right after Pearl Harbor was attacked in WWII.

Without giving away too much of the story, it follows a widowed mother & teenage daughter as they are torn from their homes and transported to the dusty desert internment camp with thousands of others. There is sadness, despair and confusion yet hope and the will to keep going thrives in young Lucy for herself, for the memory of her dear father and for her withdrawing mom.

Within the first few chapters, I was hooked. {i am at least half through the book.} It's an unfortunate tale of what life was like for Japanese Americans in California at that time, yet Littlefield writes beautifully with sensitivity too.

After I finish this book, I'll move on to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I rented the movie from redbox with James a few weeks ago and I loved it! It made me want to get the soundtrack and read the book. That night, I texted my sister and a friend this line from the movie, said by Charlie,

"people accept the love they think they deserve."

WOW! It really made me think. Sister J had the book so she brought over for me to read this past sunday.
I just love books and seeing them on display on the shelves.
I did some spring cleaning last week and narrowed all of my cd's into one crate to make room for more of my books that I want to hold onto or pass on/give to others.


There's at least one here that I've read, practically NEW, with no pages bent, that I will be giving away in the very near future!

What are you currently reading? Are you going through any quirky phases?




 photo signature_zps68838d56.png

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you have a "Hunger Games" book...have you read the whole series yet?

I'm currently reading "Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver.

Sue // As It Seems said...

I loved the perks of being a wallflower. And I have an open bag of tortilla chips hanging out next to me. I feel like we're twins or something! xo

holli said...

I am an avid reader. I love everything from Jodi Picouolt to Anne Rice. I subscribe to 9 magazines and i have an ipad. Not enough time in the day!