Wednesday, June 13, 2012

peek inside my journal: being less selfish

When darling Alesha of Blessed to be blessing invited me to her link up "peek inside my journal-PIMJ" last week, i was delighted at the nature of the link-up. I think it's a wonderful way for people to gain insight and perhaps a new perspective in their faith as we all profess our love and faith in God. I am definitely a work in progress!

I've been struggling with not criticizing others and trying to have the frame of mind that they are doing the best they can. That those little things that i find annoying are ok (not this massive storm cloud), because in the grand scheme of things, they are not important! I'm learning to choose my battles wisely. it's a difficult task some days, but i can do it!  I bite my tongue and am keeping my heart from hardening and keeping it mushy. A mushy heart is way better! lol. We all want to be heard and understood. I think talking less (offering criticism) and listening (offering understanding) is a more peaceful way to live. Jesus was about peace and love.

Job 6:24-"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred."

I might just learn something if I bite my tongue and listen. Really at the root of this struggle I am having is selfishness. I consider myself a very giving person, but i know there's capacity to grow and extend myself more. It's not always about me. It's about them. It's about Jesus. He is teaching me to care MORE about others, even the ones that annoy me or upset me. It's an ugly part of me. The part where I lose focus on the Lord. The part of me that gets upset. Yet, I always love being reminded that the Lord is there with me, all the days of my life. That He cares what i am going through. And that He offers me the most complete peace.

What can i do to be more giving? How i can serve more? What if I offer patience understanding and acceptance instead of frustration, grumpiness and anxiety?  It'll make a difference. Offering and being the good fruits will cause me to be a happier & peaceful person. All of these lessons, especially this one at the present moment is shaping me to become the person God wants me to be. The person I am destined to be. A better version of myself.



I like that right now I am taking time in silence(no tv, no ipod, no twitter or facebook), me alone with my thoughts, to write about this stuff. As you probably have noticed, I haven't written anything new since sunday. I've been busy catching up on emails, comments, tweets, planning & organzing blog stuff [see pic] and reading other fabulous blogs! But even taking time off from actually blogging was nice because I was connecting with you. So many of you are believers and the women I've met so far are genuinely beautiful daughters of God. It's truly encouraging to share our hearts with one another as we build up His kingdom.

It's always comforting to spend time with God and with his Word dontcha you think? He's always working in our lives, even if we don't notice. Like in the movie, Blue Brothers 2000, it's said, "God works in mysterious ways." And oh he sure does!! I always feel re-grounded when I spend time with God. I didn't jump on the Soul Detox program fast enough! But i love that #SheReadsTruth is going on!! i guess it's never to late to start! wanna join with me!? Let's start tomorrow!!!

love you sister/brother friends!

1 comment:

kendra @ A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

Oh Britt, that is my favorite part of blogging too! The community is so amazing and the wonderful people I have met just makes my day!