Monday, February 27, 2012

book review: two among the righteous few

I admit I am a total book worm. I love to read though my love for reading actual books goes in phases. I may read three books in one month or not read one book for three months. Last friday, i finished reading," Two Among the Righteous Few: a story of courage in the holocaust" by Marty Brounstein.
Link
I don't know about you, but i am so drawn to stories that are associated with the Holocaust. I know it might sound morbid or odd, but I think it's important to really know the "behind-the-scenes", the different people's versions of what happened, what they went through or how their lives were affected by this unimaginable, devastating time in our world. All of this whether it be fiction or non-fiction.
This story, however, is real. A true story.
I felt such a deep connection to the story, to the people in the book , especially to the author and his wife, Leah "Ineke" baars. I don't want to giveaway too much in case you'd like to read the book, but it's about a young Catholic couple named Frans and Mien Wijnakker who risked their lives along with their four young children to help save at least two dozen Jews in south Holland. The couple lived simple lives and were devout Catholics, yet even their priest was against the idea of hiding Jews in their home. This brave couple embodied what it meant to be brave and faithful. To stand up for what is right.

check out the book here
It's inspiring and makes you ask yourself, "would I be willing to risk my life to help those who were facing injustice and death?"

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Mr. Brounstein's book signing on friday night at Barnes and Noble!! I have never met any author of any book I've ever read, so for me to be able to go this time for a book on a topic I really enjoyed meant so much to me. It was indeed a once in a lifetime opportunity. I got to meet Marty, his wife who both signed my copy, as well as had a picture taken with them. They were kind and thankful that us small group (about 20 people) came for the signing and to hear Marty talk about the book and how he came about in actually writing the book, which happened on accident. I'll never forget last friday night.
I was on a literary high.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I love Holocaust books too! People always think I am weird for it, but they are SO good!

I just finished Auschwitz...not sure who by, I can check on my nook if you want :)

I will have to check this out!

xoxo

Brittany T. said...

meghan-omg i am so glad im not alone in my love for Holocaust books!!

Yes, please let me know who the book is by, i'd love to check it out. :)

p.s. may i put your button on my blog?

Pammy said...

You gals got me interested in these books. I'm going to check to see if they have them on the Kindle! Thanks Ladies!